cycle_length problem

General scientific issues regarding ROMS

Moderators: arango, robertson

mengqingjun

cycle_length problem

#1 Unread post by mengqingjun »

kate wrote:When you say monthly, do you mean you have each individual month or do you have a generic January that is for all Januaries? If it's the first, you don't want to set cycle_length at all. If it's the second, I don't see that 365.25 is going to be so very terrible. It's not like you are picking up the individual storms on their specific dates.
Hi Kate,If I have a generic January that is for all Januaries ,the cycle_length you say that 365.25 won't be so terrible ?
I have a application that applied dalily boundary conditions,But I only have 366 days of 2012.
I set

Code: Select all

DSTART =  0.0d0                     ! days
  TIDE_START =  0.0d0                      ! days
    TIME_REF =  20120101.00d0              ! yyyymmdd.dd
in my ocean.in.And the BRYNAME is

Code: Select all

BRYNAME == /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_01_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_02_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_03_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_04_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_05_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_06_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_07_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_08_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_09_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_10_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_11_bry.nc |
                /public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_12_bry.nc
That are 12 monthes bry.nc and there are 31,29,31,30....time records respectively.
I want to model 10 years and use a generic day boundary condiation. But the model stop after one year 366 days. It seems that ROMS can't read
/public/home/ych/meng/Projects/bhd3/boundary/bhd_2012_01_bry.nc |
again and I have the log output
NETCDF_OPEN - unable to open existing NetCDF file:
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@A^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@À°<91>^D^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ RSTNAME == out3/bhd_rst.nc A^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@±<91>^D^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@NAME == out3/bhd_rst.nc A^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ð°<91>^D^@^@^@^@@±<91>^D^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@ ^Q^O^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@<80>±<91>^D^@^@^@^@E^@^@^@ÿÿÿÿF^@^@^@G^@^@^@
call from: inquire.F
I think this may be the cycle_length attribute problem ?
I nndump the bry.nc and find
double salt_time(salt_time) ;
salt_time:long_name = "time for salinity climatology" ;
salt_time:units = "day since 2012.01.01" ;
salt_time:calendar = "366.0 days in every year" ;
salt_time:cycle_length = 366. ;
double temp_time(temp_time) ;
temp_time:long_name = "time for temperature climatology" ;
temp_time:units = "day" ;
temp_time:calendar = "366.0 days in every year" ;
temp_time:cycle_length = 366. ;
double zeta_time(zeta_time) ;
zeta_time:long_name = "time for sea surface height" ;
zeta_time:units = "day" ;
zeta_time:calendar = "366.0 days in every year" ;
zeta_time:cycle_length = 366. ;
double v3d_time(v3d_time) ;
v3d_time:long_name = "time for 3D velocity climatology" ;
v3d_time:units = "day" ;
v3d_time:calendar = "366.0 days in every year" ;
v3d_time:cycle_length = 366. ;
double v2d_time(v2d_time) ;
v2d_time:long_name = "time for 2D velocity climatology" ;
v2d_time:units = "day" ;
v2d_time:calendar = "366.0 days in every year" ;
v2d_time:cycle_length = 366. ;
It seems that I have set the cycle_length to 366 day. But ROMS can't cycle to read the daily condiations. What may be the problem ? Thank you for reply !

kate

Re: cycle_length problem

#2 Unread post by kate »

If you look at the code for reading multiple files for one time dimension, you will see that it has no way to cycle back to the start. Also, at any given start/restart, you'd better have the first file listed be the file it needs to read first. You can't start on day 200 with your list of twelve months because it won't get to the correct file.

Instead, you need to ncrcat all those into one file. Then I believe it should be able to cycle through them all correctly.