I would like to test the Sea-Ice module in a regional model configuration
of the SW Atlantic and Weddell Sea area. How could I access to the
sea-ice module?.

Thanks for your help,

ELBIO.

macassis

Re: Sea Ice Module

#2 Unread post by macassis »

I'm facing the same problem: How can I get the "Idealized Weddell Sea Shelf Application" test case? The link at wikiroms is empty, and I really need to run a test to learn how to give the entrance parameters to an ice-sea model.

kate

#3 Unread post by kate »

There are two different things here: sea ice and ice shelves. The Weddell Sea case has an ice shelf, which is ice so thick that it affects the surface pressure of the water. Ice shelves at least used to be in the distribution version of ROMS.

Then there is sea ice. My branch of the svn server has Paul Budgell's sea ice model, but requires you to get access to it from Dave Robertson. This is very much a development branch on the server, use at your own risk.

lanerolle

#4 Unread post by lanerolle »

Have there been updates since this posting Kate? I am using ROMS svn v. 562 which is relatively new and it appears that in this version too, its the ICESHELF CPP option that is (only) available. The SeaIce directory has an empty subroutine.

So is ROMS still only capable of doing Ice shelves and if we want to do Sea Ice itself, we (still) need to get Paul's routines? Are these codes still "research" codes or have they been sufficiently vetted so that they are robust, reliable and accurate to be used anywhere on the globe?

Also, I am attempting to picture the difference between Ice Shelves and Sea Ice. Are Ice Shelves permanent fixtures which do not move and, Sea Ice chunks and sheets of ice floating at the ocean surface (but still having a finite thickness - e.g. 0-5 m below the surface) which can move around with the currents?

kate

#5 Unread post by kate »

Things haven't changed that much in the ROMS ice world, though I did update the ice part of the ROMS wiki.

Yes, ice shelves are hundreds of meters thick, part of giant glacial ice sheets near the ocean. Sea ice is formed as frozen salt water and still has some salt in it during the first year. It moves due to wind stress, but also has some internal strength.