Using the AVERAGES_DETIDE option

Report or discuss software problems and other woes

Moderators: arango, robertson

klyons

Using the AVERAGES_DETIDE option

#1 Unread post by klyons »

I have tried using the AVERAGES_DETIDE option to create detided data for the boundary of a child model. To test the detided output, I created an number of station files in the domain and used t_tide to calculate a detided zeta for these stations. I compared this with detided zeta (zeta_detided) from daily averages files for the same locations and found that they did not match at all (see attachment). In most case zeta_detided was zero or near zero (i.e. low frequency effects like inverse barometer are stripped out too).

One source of error is the fact that though the model runs over many months, it does so 1 week at a time. However, my understanding is that the cumulated tide harmonics are saved to the tide forcing file so that the fit will improve over time and I can see that the tide forcing file is being updated every week so this should not be problem.

Has anyone any ideas where I may be going wrong here?

Thanks
Kieran
Attachments
m1.jpg
m1.jpg (68.26 KiB) Viewed 2098 times

klyons

Re: Using the AVERAGES_DETIDE option

#2 Unread post by klyons »

Just to close this posting off, I found out that the tide harmonics in the tide forcing file were not being accumulated because the NRREC flag in the input script ocean.in was 0. I changed to -1 and now the detided data is looking good!

arango
Site Admin

Re: Using the AVERAGES_DETIDE option

#3 Unread post by arango »

Great. That's good news. I was worry about this. I tested this option and it was working nicely for me. I was wondering it there we have an I/O error or a leas-squares problem.